Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hungry anyone?

Bet you thought this post was going to be about food.

It's not.

It's about an awesome book I just read.

Have you heard of this book?
A good friend of mine suggested I read it. 
When I read the description, I was very skeptical. 

The story takes place sometime in the future.  North America has fallen in a great war and a new country, Panem, has emerged.  Panem keeps it's subjects under control by fear and by the annual Hunger Games.  Once a year, each of the 12 districts of Panem must randomly choose a boy and a girl between the ages of 12 and 18 and send them to the capital to compete in the Hunger Games.  The 24 children are put into an arena and are forced to fight each other to the death.  The winner receives numerous rewards including food for their district for a year.  Oh and all this is televised live to the nation with mandatory viewing.

Can you see why I was skeptical?  It doesn't really sound like the feel-good book of the year, does it?  So it was with much trepidation that I started reading the book.

It was fan-tast-ic!!  I couldn't put it down!!

It was SO good.  It's listed as a book for 7th graders and up, but I was totally engrossed in it.  The characters and settings are so rich and full.  It's the kind of book that you can see the action going on in your head as you read it.  I can't tell you too much about the story or I'll give away the good stuff.  Needless to say, I highly recommend the book. 

If you happen to have Amazon Prime and own a Kindle, you can "rent" this book for free.  Just search for it on your Kindle and choose the "Borrow for free" option.  I will warn you, though, this book is part of a trilogy and you can only rent one free book a month.  I'm waiting anxiously for Dec. 1 so I can go rent the second book.  I'll probably have to buy the third book because I don't think I'll be able to wait until Jan. 1 to get that one!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment