Monday, January 28, 2013

Week in Review: Jan 21-27


Last Monday was Martin Luther King Jr Day, which meant a day off from school for the kids...after having 2 snow days and 2 half days (where they got out early for weather related things) last week.  Meaning, they had only been in school for the equivalent of 2 days last week.  Meaning Mommy needed a holiday, not the kids.

Did I get one?  Only if you count allergy testing as a holiday.  Since I hadn't been tested in 10 years and they have been giving me allergy shots for that entire time, they figured I was due.  What did we find out?  I'm allergic to the same stuff I was 10 years ago - trees, grass, mold and dust (the dust one was a lot more positive this time - I think that's a good reason for Tim to do all the dusting, don't you?).

Tuesday - It was back to school - Yay!!! While the kids were, thankfully, in school, I had an appointment with a new doctor, a rheumatologist.  I tried not to get my hopes up about this doctor but I have to admit, I was anticipating him helping me.  He's a doctor who deals with inflammation.  I have inflammation.  So he should be able to help me, right?

Wrong!  It was a total waste of a $40 copay.  He didn't even examine my abs/ribs, just said "Huh, I have no idea what that could be.  I'm at a loss.  I've never heard of that before."  And about my shoulder (which majorly started hurting during our flooding/snow last week), "The orthopedic doctor said that was your rotator cuff?  No, that's really your bicep tendon that attaches up there."  Um, do I care about specific medical jargon?  No.  All I know is that it hurts.  Stop trying to say every other doctor is wrong and just help me already! "I think you need to take Advil and do stretches and give it time."  I've been doing physical therapy, stretches, exercises and taking prescription anti-inflammatory meds for 6 months.  Isn't that giving it time?  "Well, maybe it will take another 3 months."  OK, what if 3 months rolls around and it's not better.  "Well, I don't know.  I guess you could come back and see me."  Um, no thank you.  Seeing as you were so helpful the first time.

So that was a lousy morning for me.  But that evening I did get to spend some one-on-one time with Julie while Tim and David went to Cub Scouts and build a bird feeder out of a milk jug.


Thursday turned out to be a much better day.  I went to get a massage.  I've been going to the same massage therapist for a while now, but I hadn't been in since before Christmas.  I left feeling pretty good but anticipating the soreness that usually follows these massages.  These aren't feel good, relaxation massages.  These are deep tissue, find all the trigger points where it hurts and press on those really hard massages.  Thankfully that good feeling lasted for about 2 1/2 days!  I had very little pain until Sunday morning.  It was a really nice 2 days.

We found out Thursday night that the kids were out of school on Friday because of an ice storm that was headed our way.  So we spent a lazy Thursday night and slept in on Friday morning (Tim had already decided that we was working from home on Friday).  Friday afternoon the kids got invited to sleepover at their friends' house, which happens to be in our neighborhood, so I didn't have to worry about driving far in the ice storm.  They went over there about 1:30 and stayed until Saturday morning.  Date night in for us!

What I'm watching:  Tim got the Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu-Ray for Christmas so we are making our way through watching those again.  I had forgotten how violent they are.  That must be why men like them so much.  When we want to take a break from the violence, we watch Smallville through Netflix.  Oh, wait, that has some violence too...but super hero violence doesn't count, right?

What I'm reading:  I just finished Where Treasure Hides by Johnnie Alexander Donley.  Great, but frustrating book.  My full review will be coming soon.  Now I'm reading Kisses From Katie, a true life account of the work that Katie Davis is doing in Uganda.  You can visit her blog here.

What I'm listening to:  I love, love, love this new song by Kutless.  I think it was written just for me.  Take a few moments and listen to it and read the lyrics while you're at it.

That was the highs and lows of my week.  How about yours?



1 comment:

  1. Chad had a really good Dr when he ended up having to have his shoulder surgeries. And we know a really good PT also. I don't know if talking to any of them would help at all? Hate you have had to deal with so much pain. :( I do hope and pray you find answers and healing soon.
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete