Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pinteresting Pins: Pizza & Broccoli/Rice Casserole

Do you pin?  Are you on Pinterest?  If I don't already follow you, leave me a comment with your Pinterest name and I'll come find you.

Time for more Pinterest trials.  This week it was 2-ingredient pizza dough and broccoli/chicken/rice casserole.

When I was a little kid, we lived so far out in the country that the pizza delivery man was not an option.  My mom's solution was to make pizza ourselves from scratch.  My sister, my mom and I would measure out all the ingredients for the dough. We'd mix it up, knead it, and roll it out.  Then we would add sauce, cheese and any toppings.  It was all great fun back then.  We got dirty.  We got the floors dirty.  We loved it.

Fast forward to now.  I decide it will be great fun to make my own pizza dough just like we did back then.  However, since I'm not a big "make it from scratch" kind of person, I thought trying this 2-ingredient recipe (Greek yogurt and flour) would be the perfect solution.



My first mistake was to try this on a school night when we had to be at Cub Scouts at 6.  Second mistake was to let my Greek yogurt expire then make a last second run to the store with two kids after school to get more.  Should have just postponed the experiment at that point and ordered pizza from a pizza place, after all I don't live way out in the country anymore.

But I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess.  Really, it wasn't that bad.  I mixed up the yogurt and flour, and then more flour, and then more flour.  Until it was finally the right doughy consistency.  I kneaded, and let the kids knead, then kneaded it just a little more.

Sorry it's so blurry.
My 7 year old can't seem to hold my phone still.
Then I let the kids roll it out ... and it was tiny.  So I used the last of the yogurt and more flour and made just a little more dough.


I put it all together and got this weird oblong kind of shape.  Stuck it on a large stone and just went with it.

The final product
So I'm sure you're wondering how it tasted.  It was OK.  It was not as good as the pizza we made growing up.  And despite what everyone on Pinterest says, I could taste the yogurt.  The good news was both kids ate it and seemed to like it.  They weren't over the moon about it but it was OK pizza, they said.  I don't think I would make this again.  It was a lot of work for only having 2 ingredients and I was stressed the whole time.  I'm not giving up Little Caesars or Freshetta just yet.



This recipe involved a bit of prep work, but after all the chopping, it was super simple.  Throw it all together in a bowl and mix it up.


I liked the fact that the recipe made me four meals.  I served one that night and put three in the freezer for later.  When I had a friend with the flu this week (and all four of her kids had the flu too!), I could just grab a frozen casserole and send it to her house.  So nice to have enough to keep and enough to share.

  
The bad news?  Making this created a huge mess of dirty dishes in my sink.  Sigh!  No rest for the weary.


The good news?  The kids, including David, both tried it and ate it.  David, who doesn't usually like rice, said it was good.  He didn't eat a lot but he tried it, which is a big deal.  Julie loved it and kept asking for more.  I am excited to add this to our usual menu.  It was great!

Stay tuned for more Pinterest trials.  I might dive into the DIY or organization pins next time, you never know.

Did you try out these recipes?  Let me know what you think in the comments or on my Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Cathy- now we have to make the broccoli/chicken/rice casserole ! Love, Aunt Val

    ReplyDelete