Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Books I've been Reading - Fall 2010

Lately, I've just been pouring over books.  For several months during the summer, I had a dry spell.  No books interested me.  I couldn't figure out what to read, so I just read magazines.

About 2 months ago the dry spell ended.

A wonderful sale on Barnes & Noble's website (bargain books plus free shipping over $25) helped me get about 10 books to read.  Combine that with a great Lifeway $5 book sale and a Kindle that I got for my birthday (hey, e-books count too!) and I suddenly had a pile of books to choose from.

Since then I've been devouring books left and right.  I thought I'd share with you what I've been reading, both to give you ideas and to have a record for myself.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Some of my friends will disagree with me on this, but I love Harry Potter books.  They are well written and engrossing.  I read all 750 pages in 4 days.  I couldn't put it down and it was the second time I've read it!  Since the movie is coming out this month, I thought I should re-read the book.  Loved it as much as the first time I read it.

The Mermaid in the Basement (Lady Trent Mystery Series #1)
Funny title, I know, but I had been eying this book for a while.  It's the first of a series about a lady detective in the late 1800's.  She's advanced for her time in that she is a lady scientist and uses science and deductive reasoning to solve a crime.  I liked it so much that I'm asking for the next ones in the series for Christmas.
The Mountain Between Us: A Novel
Awesome, awesome book!!  This is probably my favorite out of the ones I've read recently.  Two strangers get on a private plane to beat a snowstorm.  The plane crashes and they have to survive on a cold, snowy, barren mountain.  I read this one on my Kindle (my first e-book download), but it comes in print version too.

The Clouds Roll Away (Raleigh Harmon)
This book is about FBI agent Raleigh Harmon.  It's the third book in the series but the best one in my opinion.  You can pick up and read this one without reading the other two.  They are about the same person but are independent stories.  In the book she is solving a high-profile case involving a popular rapper and a burning cross on his property.  Easy read, but I would wait until it's on sale to buy it.
Once Upon a Day: A Novel
This book is a little break from my "normal" kind of reading.  It's a novel but not a Christian novel, which is the genre I normally stick to.  It's a coming of age novel but quite a bit different than any I have read before.  Two adult children grew up in a family full of secrets.  You discover those secrets by the end of the book and you feel for the kids.  Yet you know they will survive and start to mend now that everything is out in the open.  I would recommend this book for the mystery and plot twists that it takes.  Just be aware there is cussing in it.  If that kills a book for you, then don't read this one.

East of the Sun: A Novel
This one also is a little different than my normal novel (thought I'd branch out a little bit).  This feels like a book that might be required reading in an English class.  It takes place in the 1920's when Britain still rules India but their rule there is being questioned.  Three young ladies travel from England to India trying to find happiness.  There is a lot of historical commentaries in the book as well as emotional growth from the characters.  They arrive as naive girls, but by the end they are wise, mature women.  I felt like I should write an essay when I was done with this book.  Not that it is bad, just thought-provoking.


Well there you have it - what I've been reading for 2 months.  There are 2 more books on the list, but I'll be posting separate reviews of those shortly.  I plan to have a whole new list of books to tell you about closer to Christmas. 

What about you?  Do you like to read?  What are some of the books you have read recently?  I always love new ideas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment