Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Book Review: Stuff Christians Like

Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff

(from Amazon)
Sometimes, we fall in love on mission trips even though we know we'll break up when we get back. Sometimes, you have to shot block a friend's prayer because she's asking God to bless an obviously bad dating relationship. Sometimes, you think, 'I wish I had a t-shirt that said 'I direct deposit my tithe' so people wouldn't judge me.' 


Sometimes, the stuff that comes with faith is funny. This is that stuff. Jonathan Acuff's Stuff Christians Like is your field guide to all things Christian. 


In it you'll learn the culinary magic of the crock-pot. Think you've got a Metro worship leader---Use Acuff's checklist. Want to avoid a prayer handholding faux pas? Acuff has you covered. Like a satirical grenade, Acuff brings us the humor and honesty that galvanized more than a million online readers from more than 200 countries in a new portable version. Welcome to the funny side of faith.


My Thoughts:


This book is hilarious.  I have already mentioned it once on here but I thought it was worth a full review.  Based on the super popular blog of the same name, Stuff Christians Like, reminds you of the funny side of attending church.  If you have grown up in church or have been in church for a while, you'll find lots to relate to in Stuff Christians Like.  I found myself laughing and relating through the entire book.


Someone asked me if this book was irreverent.   Not at all.  Jon Acuff is a Christian and does not write anything against Christianity in the book.  (I even suggested his blog to my pastor.)  He just says what all the rest of us are thinking.  He allows us to laugh at routines and practices that we have been doing for years - like shaking hands during church or giving people the "side hug."


I highly recommend this book for good, clean humor.  As a side note, I have the Kindle edition of the book and I think this is a perfect book to have in e-book form.  Since the book is made up of essays or blog posts instead of chapters, it's easy to go to the table of contents and click on the exact essay you want to read again.  It's kind of like having a "best of" list on a blog and clicking on the posts you enjoy the most.


Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment