Sunday, July 4, 2010

Be flexible

I'm using a borrowed computer, so I don't know yet if I can upload pictures.  But here I am in Nicaragua.  We arrived safely yesterday at about 5 PM Nicaragua time (2 hours behind home) after leaving our church at 5:45 AM.  The airport was still 2.5 hours from our mission house.  So after going through customs, getting our luggage and driving to Chinendega from Managua, we got to our home away from home at 8:30 PM (10:30 PM home time).  We had some pizza and crashed after our very long day.

But backing up a little...the first thing we were told when we got here was that the town of Chinendega has been without water for 5 days.  The town pumps blew out.  Our gracious host went and got a cistern yesterday before we got here and filled it up with water for us to use - however conserving water is an understatement for what we must do to make that water last.  My shower this morning was refreshingly cold (it actually felt pretty good) but was more like a sponge bath standing up.  Get wet, turn off water and lather up hair.  Turn on water and rinse, turn off water and wash body with soap, turn on water to rinse, etc.... 

Our number one priority on this trip was to be flexible so we are flexing.  In just a little bit, we are off to our first Nicarguan church service, then they have planned a Fourth of July cookout for us tonight with hotdogs and hamburgers - which I think is incredibly sweet. 

Much love to my family who I already miss so much.  I'm showing everyone your pictures (even those who don't really want to see them).  Be good for Daddy and I'll see you soon.

2 comments:

  1. did you bring your dry shampoo???? Glad you guys got there ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO, I forgot it! That would have been a great thing to have. Did you have fun in Chicago?

    ReplyDelete