When David was much younger getting him to eat any kind of meat was next to impossible. Then we discovered the secret - barbecue sauce. He dips everything in barbecue sauce now. Chicken? Yup. Pork? Yup. Ground beef? Yup.
So when I discovered this Barbecue Meatloaf recipe, I knew it would be a hit. And it was. And now I'm going to share this little gem of a recipe with you. Oh and did I mention, it only has 5 ingredients and only takes 25 minutes to cook? Yeah, that's my kind of recipe.
Barbecue Meatloaf1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Mix up the beef, breadcrumbs, egg whites, pepper and 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce. Spread it all out in a pan (I use an 8x8 pan). Spread out the last 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce on the top. Cook on 350-375 (depending on the pan you use) for 25 minutes.
Ways to Mix it up
- Use 1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb ground turkey instead of using all beef. It tastes just the same and it's healthier.
- Use Cornflake crumbs instead of breadcrumbs or use Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs for a slightly different flavor (Cornflake crumbs are our favorites.)
- Use teryaki sauce instead of barbecue sauce. I may or may not have discovered this secret after starting to make this without checking first to see if we had barbecue sauce.
- Use 1 whole egg instead of 2 egg whites. It won't be as healthy, but if you are in a pinch and only have 1 egg in the fridge, it works just fine.
- Use different flavors of barbecue sauce for different flavors of meatloaf. Our favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's.
Try it out and let me know how it goes.