Monday, April 15, 2013

Barbecue Meatloaf

It's no secret that there are picky eaters in my family and I include myself on that list.  Finding something that everyone likes is sometimes hard.

When David was much younger getting him to eat any kind of meat was next to impossible.  Then we discovered the secret - barbecue sauce.  He dips everything in barbecue sauce now.  Chicken?  Yup.  Pork?  Yup.  Ground beef?  Yup.

So when I discovered this Barbecue Meatloaf recipe, I knew it would be a hit.  And it was.  And now I'm going to share this little gem of a recipe with you.  Oh and did I mention, it only has 5 ingredients and only takes 25 minutes to cook?  Yeah, that's my kind of recipe.

Barbecue Meatloaf

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix up the beef, breadcrumbs, egg whites, pepper and 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce.  Spread it all out in a pan (I use an 8x8 pan).  Spread out the last 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce on the top.  Cook on 350-375 (depending on the pan you use) for 25 minutes.

Ways to Mix it up

  • Use 1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb ground turkey instead of using all beef.  It tastes just the same and it's healthier.
  • Use Cornflake crumbs instead of breadcrumbs or use Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs for a slightly different flavor (Cornflake crumbs are our favorites.)
  • Use teryaki sauce instead of barbecue sauce.  I may or may not have discovered this secret after starting to make this without checking first to see if we had barbecue sauce.
  • Use 1 whole egg instead of 2 egg whites.  It won't be as healthy, but if you are in a pinch and only have 1 egg in the fridge, it works just fine.
  • Use different flavors of barbecue sauce for different flavors of meatloaf.  Our favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's.
Try it out and let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment