Thursday, January 6, 2011

Books I Have Been Reading - Winter 2010

Time to once again give you an update on all the wonderful books I've been reading. Surprisingly, down here in the South, it has been very snowy this year.  So I've had lots of time to curl up with a some books (and some not as good ones).

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life
How Nancy Drew Saved My Life (Red Dress Ink)  This story is about a 20-something girl who takes a job in Iceland as a nanny.  There are some twists and turns to it but not enough to really keep my interest.  The main character keeps making the same mistakes over and over and doesn't seem to learn from them.  It has a vague nod to the book "Jane Eyre," but once again, it didn't really keep my attention.  I give it a 3 out of 5 stars.


Great book!!!  I have been following Jon Acuff's blog for a few months now and it always cracks me up.  He now works for Dave Ramsey (financial guru) and decided to write a humorous book about things he has learned while working there.  It's fun, easy to read and great to give as a gift.  It's 5 out of 5 for me.

Love Finds You in Lahaina, Hawaii  I got this book because it was on sale for $5 at Lifeway.  It was a $5 well spent.  Bodie Thoene sweeps you back in time to Hawaii in the late 1800's.  Hawaii is not yet an American territory and is still rules by a monarchy.  You follow the story of Princess Kaiulani in her quest to do what is right for her country.  This is based on a true story that was told to the Thoenes back in the 1970's.  I'd love to study more on this history because it makes me cringe to think of the things we did to get Hawaii as a territory.  It's a great story and I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

The 5 love Languages of Children
The Five Love Languages of Children   Dr. Gary Chapman, author of the 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts, expanded his research in this book to include the love languages of children.  As in the first book, children feel loved most in one of 5 love languages - physical touch, gifts, quality time, words of affirmation or acts of service.  I totally agree with that part of the book and like his examples.  However, he has a lot of information in there about discipline that I just don't agree with.  I stopped reading the book after reading the first chapter on discipline.  So, my assessment is that it's good for the first half and gives you insight into your kids and their behavior, but borrow it, don't buy it.  It gets 3 out of 5 stars.


Riven   I borrowed this book from my sister.  She absolutely loved it.  I thought it was good, but can't say I loved it.  For the first two-thirds of the book, you see a portrait of 2 men whose lives are spiraling out of control.  One is on the path of drugs and crime.  The other is a preacher who feels like he has been forgotten by God.  To me, this part was very depressing.  You see characters constantly making bad choices and years and years are going by with no resolution or solution.  I actually had to call my sister to make sure the book got better.  It did.  By the end, you see God at work in both men's lives.  In my opinion, there was too much of the depressing parts to give this all 5 stars.  So it only gets 4.

Secrets of Harmony Grove   This is by my very favorite author, Mindy Starnes Clark.  I love everything she has written and this is no exception.  Once again she offers a great, stand-alone mystery novel that draws you in and doesn't let go until it's done.  In this book you're taken to the heart of Amish country to a quaint little Bed & Breakfast where everything is not what it seems.  I stayed up til 1:30 AM reading this several nights in a row just so I could find out who did it.  It's a great book!  5 out of 5 stars.

I hope you are having a wonderful week.  Find a good book to curl up with this weekend.  If you find yourself reading one of the books on my list, feel free to send me your review of it and I'll put it in one of my posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment