Monday, March 19, 2012

Netgalley: Firethorn


Netgalley: Firethorn by Ronie Kendig

Firethorn is the fourth and last book in the Discarded Heroes series.  I’ve reviewed books one, two and three in the past. 

Nightshade is in trouble.  A team of similarly experienced operatives have infiltrated their headquarters, the “Shack.”  Four members of their team have been taken, two have escaped to a hideout and one member, Griffin “Legend” Riddell is serving time in a maximum security prison for a crime he did not commit.

In walks Kazi Faron, a European agent who’s job is to reassemble the team and find out who put them in jeopardy in the first place.  Kazi is small, blond and feisty.  Will she be able to pull off her mission and save Nightshade?  Will Griffin let down his wall and learn to love again?

My Thoughts:

This book was somewhat different than the first three books in the series, in that there wasn’t one mission that the team went on or just one problem to solve.  In fact, the Nightshade team wasn’t even together for most of the book.  The main kick-butt character in this book is not even a Nightshade member, but an independent female spy hired to rescue the Nightshade members and bring them back together.

The book was pretty good.  I liked Kazi as a heroine.  Any female who can rescue a bunch of huge, military men who are in trouble gets my vote.  However, the love story between her and Griffin, wasn’t as believable as in the other three books.

I also felt like the series didn’t come to a satisfactory close for me.  There were more Nightshade members that didn’t get their own story, more lives we didn’t learn about.  So I was left feeling unfulfilled at the end in terms of the series.  I definitely think Kendig could have gotten a few more books out of it.

Because of the love story that just wasn’t quite up to par with the other three book, I’m going to give this book 4 stars out of 5.  But if you have read the other books in the series, you’ll still want to read this one.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I was provided with a complimentary Kindle version of this book for review by Netgalley.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment