Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Why I am Who I am

So you might be wondering, why would I call myself a "Stay in the Car Mom?"  Here's a brief story of me:

I started dating the love of my life in high school (so, yes, who you date in high school COULD be very important).  We went to the same college, got married after our junior year and then got our undergrad degrees in Engineering. Apparently, we defied statistics by going on to grad school (not many married couples end up doing that).  We both got Master's Degrees in Engineering and while we were doing that, I got pregnant.  When I graduated, I was 13 weeks pregnant and like a good little student, I had done my homework.  Businesses are not required by law to award maternity leave unless someone has been working there for a year.  So, even if I got a job, I may or may not be given maternity leave when my baby arrived.  Oh, don't worry, I was interviewing for jobs either way.  I just wasn't telling anyone I interviewed with that I was pregnant.  Anyway, to speed up this story, my supersmart, wonderful husband was offered a great job back in the town where we grew up, so we quickly (as in 21 days after the interview) moved back home so he could start work.

At that point, since I was very pregnant we agreed that I wouldn't look for a job until after all our kids were in school (which is next year, by the way).  And even then, it's my choice if I want to look for a job or not.  Still haven't decided but that's another post for another day :).  Back to the story:

So I became...(insert suspenseful music here) a stay at home mom.  Which is a great job, don't get me wrong.  I just wish it had a better title - like "all encompassing cook, chauffeur, laundress, housekeeper (although I'm not very good at that one), fashion consultant, party planner, vacation planner, bookkeeper, resident nurse, homeroom mom and photographer who requires no compensation except hugs, kisses and snuggles."  But of course, that would be too long.

So out of all those titles, I picked the one thing that I feel like I do ALL. THE. TIME!!!  And I dubbed myself a "Stay in the car mom" - and let me tell you, I have heard it only gets worse from this age on.  I don't think the mother's of non-driving teenagers ever leave the car!! 

That's where I am now and how I became a stay in the car mom.  I'd love to learn a little about you.  So write a blog post about yourself and put the link in a comment.  I'll come by and get to know you a little better.

Stay Tunes for Future posts:
A day in the life (and miles driven) of a stay in the car mom
My scrapbooking obsession hobby
What I like about me

Have a great Wednesday!!

6 comments:

  1. Great to get to know you. What a great story too. Not too many people I know could tell this story. Now that my oldest is driving, it is really nice. Even after he goes off to college, we are down to two and my husband and I can handle two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Woo hoo! I have 50 followers now. Thanks. But more than that, I hope you enjoy reading and getting to know us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is so awesome that you married your high school sweetheart. I didn't get married until I was 33. My hubby went back to school (at the same time we found out we were pregnant) to pursue an engineering degree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to getting my groove back--we fly back to Florida on Friday. I was just wondering if you had received your gift from my give-a-way yet?

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, i'm visiting from SITS! :)

    I think it's so sweet that you married your hs sweetheart. :) Thank you for sharing your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to learn a bit more about you. My two are only toddlers so I'm a couple of years away from feeling like I'm in the car all the time, but it is around the corner. I think it's a cute title, a spin-off of stay-at-home mom, which as you said, has an extensive job description.

    ReplyDelete