Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blogging for Books: Indelible

Indelible by Kristen Heitzman
Indelible: A Novel

Indelible - (adj.) that cannot be eliminated, forgotten, changed, or the like (from dictionary.com).  Those are the images stored inside Natalie Reeve's head - indelible.  They are stuck, blocking her vision and her life until she sculpts them out of clay, thus expunging them from her mind.  From that outlet comes the beauty of her creations, the merchandise of her gallery.  What was once a handicap has now become her livelihood.


However, her first week in a new resort town becomes disastrous as her young nephew is grabbed by a mountain lion during a casual afternoon hike.  Trevor MacDaniel, a member of the local search and rescue team, tears down the mountain after the lion, rescuing the child.  But where does Trevor's need to save people stem from?  

As Trevor and Natalie forge a tentative friendship, their town becomes the object of a madman's attentions.  Can Trevor save his town from the monster sending him photos in the mail, photos of children in life endangering situations?  Will Natalie be destroyed in the process?


My Thoughts:

I have read a lot of Kristen Heitzman's books and this is my absolute favorite!  It is set in the same little mountain town as Indivisible was with several of the characters from that book playing a role in this book as well.  At first I was a little afraid to read this one because the back cover made it sound like the kind of book that would keep me up at night.  And I have to admit, there was one night that I couldn't sleep because the book had frightened me.  But if I had only stayed up and read it to it's conclusion, I wouldn't have had that problem.  Once you have read the end, it all makes sense.


There are two writing styles throughout the book - the narrative of Trevor and Natalie's story and the disjointed, stream of consciousness style thoughts of the antagonist, a tortured soul who struggles with who he is in the realm of good and evil.  It was reading the thoughts of him that kept me up at night.  They are definitely twisted.  That being said, I thought switching between the styles was just brilliant on the part of the author.  They were so different that it was hard to believe the same person wrote both.  

And the best part of the book was the ending.  It was very unexpected but just wonderful and almost poetic.  Thanks, Kristen, for writing such a great book.


I give this book, 5 out of 5 stars.

This book was supplied to me free of charge from Blogging for Books.  Want to blog for books too?  Check out bloggingforbooks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment