Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Better World Books has Better Customer Service

Ever find somewhere that just gives you awesome customer service and you want to share it?


Better World Books is a site that not only sells new and used books, they also donate a book to someone in need every time you buy a book from them.  They love books and they are environmentally friendly as well.

Back in January Better World Books had a great deal on books they listed in their "Bargain Bin."  Since they were deeply discounted and since I love books, I decided buying some books would be a great way to get cheap Valentine's gifts for my children.  (I know, I'm the weird mom who doesn't give my kids candy for Valentine's.  They get enough of that at school.  I give them books.)

Pretty much the rest of America must of have the same idea as me because the site was as slow as molasses and when I got to the checkout page, it died on me.  Undeterred, I picked out all the books...again...and made it through the checkout process this time.

When you choose a used book on Better World Books, they give it a rating based on its condition, i.e. very good, good, acceptable, etc.  Each rating has a description on the website.

When the books arrived, I was disappointed.  Two of the books were more worn than I thought they would be.  I want to make it clear that I did know they were used and I did realize that they wouldn't be in new condition.  I just thought their condition didn't match the condition I had chosen online.

So the next week when a survey from Better World Books appeared in my inbox, I was quick to fill it out.  I told them of my disappointment, but I didn't really think the survey would be read and responded to.  Thankfully, I was wrong.  Someone from the Better World Books customer care department contacted me and told me how terribly sorry they were to hear of my disappointment.  They asked for the specific titles that I felt weren't up to par.  After emailing those back, the site refunded me the cost of those books (asking me either to keep the books or pass them on to someone in need) and they gave me a $10 gift credit to use to purchase more books at the site.  They asked that I give them a chance to redeem themselves.

I was blown away.  Not only did they follow up with a survey, even though thousands of people were using their site that night, but they read my responses and contacted me to fix the issues.  Yes, I did have issues with the quality of their books on my first order, but with customer service like that, I will be glad to give Better World Books a try again.

Better World Books did not sponsor this post in any way.  I just got great service and wanted to tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment