Thursday, May 5, 2011

Book Review: The Amish Midwife

The Amish Midwife by Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould
The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County)
Nurse-midwife Alexandria Jaeger (Lexie) has just returned home to bury her adoptive father, the only father she's ever known.  All of her life, she has wanted "her story."  Where did she come from?  Why was she given up?  Now it seemed that story was within her grasp.  A deathbed conversation and gift from her father give her clues to her beginnings. 

After the funeral, Lexie travels from Oregon to Pennsylvania Amish country to search out answers.  While assisting a fellow midwife with Amish deliveries, Lexie learns pieces of the truth.  But no one seems willing to tell her everything.  Will she finally learn her story?  Can she handle the truth that she finds?

My Thoughts:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Mindy Starns Clark.  I think I have read every single fiction book that she has written.  When I pick up one of her books, I know there will be great characters, a great mystery and a final solution that you never imagined. 

This is the first time I have read something of hers that she collaborated with another author on.  But it did not disappoint.  It was wonderful!!

The almost comical contrasts in the Amish that the book showed were delightful.  No electricity, but propane generated refrigerators.  No home phones, but texting Amish teens who all carried cells.  The characters were well-rounded and conflicted, like all good characters should be.  You learn how Lexie thinks and what frustrates her.  You see her trying to choose the right man to love.  And you feel for all the Amish families involved.

The story that Lexie learns of her past is fascinating.  I'm always amazed at how authors can come up with these great mystery plots.  Reading the book, I felt Lexie's frustration at every closed-lipped person and I felt her shock and peace as her story is finally revealed.  Believe me, this is one mystery you WON'T figure out ahead of time.

Mindy - you're still on the top of my list. 

5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. That book sounds really good. I've never read anything by that author and now I'm intrigued. Adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete