Tuesday, February 1, 2011

All About Me: My health

Alright, today is the day for gripes.

I didn't gripe when I told you about my best feature or when I told you about my hobbies.

So now it's my time to gripe.

Overall I'm very fit and healthy.  I work out 4 or 5 days a week doing both cardio and weights.  I try to eat well - not too many sugary drinks, mostly whole grains, not many desserts.  I'm at a healthy weight and a healthy body fat.  Yet, I still seem to have lots of ailments, most of which, apparently, I was born with.

I have had allergies and asthma pretty much ever since I was born - started taking allergy shots at age 3.  In my adult life, I was diagnosed with arthritis (yes! Arthritis at age 30 - pretty sad) and endometriosis.  Hmm, seems like I only get ailments that start with vowels.  Oh, wait, I knew there was a consonant in there - fibrocystic breast tissue - the fun one that causes painful breast lumps.

Daily, I take an inhaler for asthma; nasal spray, an antihistamine, and vitamin C for allergies; vitamin E and Evening Primrose Oil to try to prevent breast lumps; birth control pills to control the endometriosis; and calcium to combat the arthritis. Wow!  That's a lot.  And there's really no cure for any of these.

So no matter how hard I exercise or how well I eat, I will have all of these for the rest of my life.

But you know what?  No matter how annoying they are, I can still count my blessings.  I don't have cancer.  I have a healthy heart.  I can walk, talk, see, hear and breathe.  I'm not bound to a wheelchair or confined to my bed.  I am so blessed to be able to go about my day doing the things I want to do and on most days, forget I have those ailments above.  Do they bother me at times?  Yes.  Do they have the potential to get worse?  Yes.  Will I always remember that I am blessed and that there are others out there worse off than me?  I hope so.  I pray so.

No comments:

Post a Comment